THE HOUSE THAT HERMAN BUILT
about | history | documentation | press | get involved | contacts | statements | news |
exhibitions | letters | plans | models | CAD video | building the house | books | other prints |
- Prospect One Biennial, New Orleans LA, Curated by Dan Cameron, Opens November 1, 2008 [prospectneworleans.org]
- Royal College of Art London, Supported by the Monique Buedert Fund, June 2008, [in collaboration w/ the Architectural Foundation and Brompton Design project].
-Art Gallery of Peel, Heritage Complex, June 2008, Brampton Canada, curated by Tejpal Ajji
-Dissident Art, Art and Anarchy Collective, August 2008, Montreal Quebec
- Alternator Gallery, April 2008, Solo Exhibition, British Columbia [alternatorgallery.com]
- SF State Gallery, Criminal Justice in America, February 2008 - March 15 2008, part of Intersection for the Arts Prison Project [gallery-sfsu]
- CCAD (Columbus College of Art and Design), February 2008, part of "Taking Shelter" Curated by Michele Snyder / James Voorhies [CCAD]
- Luggage Store Gallery, Included in 20 Year Anniversary Show, December 2007, Curated by Laurie Laser & Darryl Smith [luggagestoregallery.org]
- Artists Space, New York NY, Solo Exhibition as part of the Campari Project, Oct. 2007, Curated by Joseph Delpesco [artistsspace.org]
- Palo Alto Arts Center, Included in the exhibition , Model Making September 2007, Curated by Signe Mayfield
- TULCA, Galway Arts Centre, Galway Ireland, showcased in arts festival curated by Cliohdna Shafferey and Sara Searson, November 2006
- Akademie Schloss Solitude, Stuttgart Germany, Solo Exhibition June 2006 [akademie-solitude.de]
- Kunstgebäude, Stuttgart Germany, included in exhibition, Kunst Lebt!, June 2006
Royal College of Art, Monique Buedford Project, London UK
*This was by far the most difficult and frustrating show to install due to the utter incompetence of the RCA and folks organizing. Through a lot of hardwork,
and the generous time and energy of strangers we got it up in time, and it did look beautiful. We celebrated an Angola Awareness week with the Angola 3 London Collective,
and the help of Robert King. [& check out who showed up at the opening:) ]
Big THANKS to the Treatment Rooms, especially Carrie and Mark, Luke Allen, Nina Kowalska,
Maria Hinds, Mary Nally, Gordon Roddick, Sam Roddick and the Extorntionist #1 Love- Suki.
Alternator Gallery, Kelowna BC, April 2008 (installed by Letha Wilson)
Artists Space, New York photos by Mizue
[click on pictures to enlarge]
Canzani Center, Ohio
left: First floor plan drawn by Jackie, February 2002
center: Site plan of Herman’s house drawn in consumer CAD program, 2002
right: Drawings by Scott M B Fincher Gustafson, Urbanist, 2007
models by Jackie Sumell 2003-2008
CAD model built by Dan Hatch [Dan Hatch Studios]
CAD video still images
top left: Facade and Garden / top right: The Conference Room, wall of Revolutionary Fame
center left: Pantry / center right: Rooftop Garden
Bottom left: Swimming Pool / Bottom right: Master Bedroom
Watch a sample of the CAD video fly-through
building the house
124 page color book, 360 x 200 mm.
96 page documentation of written correspondence between Wallace and Sumell,
28 page appendix documenting the project.
First edition published by Merz and Solitude 800 copies
Second edition self-published, 1000 copies.
You can purchase a book by contacting project assistant Erin Wilson at:
Books are $25 US, including shipping.
- Palo Alto brochure (A4)
- "how to" poster (24''x36")
- post card (6"x4")
- donate poster (36''x24")
- info sheet (A4)